Pages

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Comfortable Discomfort

I'm writing this entry using Blogger's "new" interface. It's new to me, anyway; I don't really know how long it's existed because every time Blogger asks if I want to switch to the new Blogger interface I ignore the question and blog away as usual, pretending the new Blogger interface doesn't exist.

Oh, for the love of pizza, what is her point this time? Has she forgotten that this is supposed to be a blog about improv?

I'm gettin' there, hold your horses!

Like most people, I enjoy being comfortable. Being comfortable is, sorta by definition, comfy. It's nice and pleasant and, well, comforting. I know what to expect. I know how to behave. I don't feel stupid, because I've mastered what is contained in my comfort zone. Like the old Blogger interface.

The new one might be totally better. It might possess features that will delight and astound me. Or it could totally suck. The only thing that's for sure about the new Blogger interface is that it will be different from the old one.

Change is hard for most of us, to varying degrees. Some people adamantly resist new things, from technology to restaurants to TV shows. Some people embrace certain changes and eschew others. A few brave souls thrive on change and the unknown. I wanna be one of those people when I grow up.

Which brings me, finally, to improv class. Improv is 100% about the unknown. It forces you to be fully present in this moment and welcome whatever change comes at you with open arms. You absolutely never know what to expect because unless you are the Amazing Kreskin, you don't know what suggestions you'll get, what your scene partners will say or do, or how you'll react to those stimuli.

Playing in that gray area of not knowing what's coming is good training for being open to the constant changes life offers. It helps you learn to be comfortable, even with the inherent discomfort of change. And at Held2gether, the results will delight and astound you. Just like the new Blogger interface.

By Sonnjea Blackwell