Pages

Monday, January 9, 2012

Improv Theory

"But Sonnjea, why do I have to learn about improv theories, anyway? Can't I just learn everything in my H2G improv class?"

Well, I'ma tell you.

You can absolutely learn everything you need to learn about doing improv in your Held2gether improv class. Darren designed them to be that way, after all.

But in an experiential class like improv, there isn't a lot of time for lecture or Q & A, unfortunately. And sometimes understanding the why or how behind something is helpful. Why can't we go for the joke? How will this help me in dealing with my boss? Why can't we ask questions? How does letting go of my agenda help in real life? Why do we have to agree? How come there aren't more blondes in improv?

Anyway, that's why I write these silly essays... to explain the why's and how's behind the what. Of course, you can always ask the why or how in class, and we encourage you to do so. But if you're like me, you might think of these questions at 2 in the morning and, nice as he is, Darren doesn't appreciate getting calls at that hour to say, "Dude, I'm hilarious. Why can't I go for the joke in an improv scene?" And sometimes in class, there's only time to give a brief explanation; in these blogs, I have the luxury of being able to go more in-depth. "Babbling" is a term I've heard as well.

Also, I sometimes write blogs about going on my roof in the rain or about Viet's abs or about chickens. You're not gonna get that in class.

By Sonnjea Blackwell