Pages

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

The Tax Man Cometh

Today is my least favorite day of the year. It always falls between the first of February and the end of March, and it always involves swearing, tears and, um, more swearing.

It's the day I have to meet with my tax guy, or Tax Guy Day, as I like to call it. I hate it so much, that I put off gathering my shoebox full of receipts and stuff until the day of our appointment. Then, I have 8 - 10 hours to collect, sort through, organize and explain a year's worth of expenses, income and what it is I do for a living, anyway.

Yes, I know this is a blog about improv, and I do actually have a point. You know how I roll, people.

Tax Guy Day is all about assessing what happened in the past, so that something [hopefully good] will happen in the future. But I don't like living in the past! Whatever happened in 2011, it happened and it's over and I've moved on.

Improv, on the other hand, is all about being in the moment. We are only concerned with what is happening between the players right now, in this moment. We don't care about "gonna" and we only care about what was in terms of the labels it generates for what is.

So I guess that's where the problem lies: The labels. What I discover on Tax Guy Day is that I was, once again, underpaid, not so clever with investments, disorganized, random and some more of examples of underpaid.

As character labels, I like those quite a lot. As Sonnjea, I'd prefer labels like affluent, astute investor, precise, structured and some more examples of affluent. Sigh.


By Sonnjea Blackwell