Pages

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Team BS vs Solo BS

I entered a Toastmasters speech contest that's coming up tomorrow. After all, I've said my full name at three consecutive Toastmasters meetings, so that obviously qualifies me to enter a contest. I mean, duh.

I'm only entered in the Table Topics portion of the contest, which is where you get a question and talk about it, totally off-the-cuff, for 1 minute. Which is, you know, kind of what I do here in this blog every day except out loud. In front of strangers. And, um, out loud.

My more experienced Toastmasters friends have assured me that Table Topics is exactly like improv and that I'll do fine. They've followed up those kind words with helpful pointers, encouragement and reminders that I can bullshit about virtually any topic without batting an eyelash. They seem to think that last bit is a compliment.

The thing is, though, that Table Topics differs from improv in one critical way: improv is a team sport, whereas Table Topics is a solo event. Yes, I am the Queen of Information, and I love doing things like infomercial and kids show and the real truth in history, where I make up total crap on the spot. But in those, I am making up total crap on the spot WITH MY TEAMMATES.

There is strength in numbers, people, and I rely heavily on my teammates! Not just for moral support, but for the give and take, and for their contributions to the total crap we are making up, and for their energy and characters and everything. I'm all about the team - in improv, none of us is anything without the others. It's us, not any of the mes. If I were Stevie Nicks, I never would've left Fleetwood Mac. I don't have delusions of doing stand-up. When I do bizarre song-and-dance numbers for my family at the holidays, I make my sister do them with me. Personally, I even think sex is more fun with another person. That's just how I roll.

But as part of my commitment to pushing myself out of my comfort zone, I'm gonna give this solo stuff a shot. I'll let you know Friday how I did.

By Sonnjea Blackwell