Pages

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Improv and Skirts

We're getting really excited about presenting our Got Creativity? workshop at the 2012 ASTD Conference next Monday! I'm not actually sure what Darren and Viet are most excited about, but I can tell you what I'm all aflutter about... I get to wear girly clothes.

I mean, it's great that we'll be sharing how improv training in the workplace can fundamentally alter (for the better!) how coworkers view each other, how they interact, how they can actually learn creativity and learn to support others in creative approaches to any type of business endeavor. You don't have to read this blog for more than about 10 minutes to realize that I am totally committed to the idea that improv really is for life and can help virtually everyone on the planet.

But doing improv all the time means I wear jeans and t-shirts all the time. I've seen people (attempt to) do improv in a skirt and heels and such, and it's okay as long as they do only characters who stand still and act like a person wearing a skirt and heels. Crawling around on the ground, jumping about and just having the freedom to be able to do anything onstage without worrying about wardrobe malfunctions pretty much requires jeans and t-shirts.

Since I won't be doing improv or even teaching improv at ASTD, I can wear a skirt. And cute shoes. I just have to interact with the participants and help them out with the exercises - none of which requires more physicality than standing upright.

I know it's been way too long since I've dressed like a girl, because when I wore a skirt to Los Compadres for Andy's birthday, Viet, Lisa, Tracy and Bruno all commented on it. At length.

Here's the skirt I won't be wearing.


By Sonnjea Blackwell