Pages

Friday, May 11, 2012

Not Just Any Moment... THIS Moment

Sorry for the sporadic posting. What with ASTD and then getting caught up with work and then having a bazillion improv classes, my schedule got all cattywampus. I think I'm back on track now, though.

Whenever I have a big show or, as it turns out, a big conference, I have this huge letdown afterwards. It's like I've put all this work and effort into it, and then when it's over there's a void where all that effort used to go. And then I get kinda sad. I think partly I'm sad because I miss all that work and excitement that went into the thing, and partly I'm sad because there's never any guarantee there'll be another thing as great as the thing that just ended.

So that's how I've been feeling this week after I got back from Denver. And then I got all analytical, which is how I roll after all, and started trying to figure out why I get this way, and what causes it, and when it will be over. And then I tortured my friends with my angst. Also how I roll. Sorry. :(

And then I remembered the rule underlying all the other rules of improv: be in the moment. You can't listen if you're not in the moment, and if you can't listen, you can't yes, and or add information or commit. It ALL depends on being in the moment.

WARNING: Improv = Life analogy coming up...

Yep. It ALL depends on being in the moment. The only reason, really, I'd be having a meltdown after a show or conference is because a) I'm missing what happened in the past or b) I'm concerned about what might happen in the future. Last I checked, neither of those things were NOW.

You can't fully enjoy your life if you're living in the past or for the future. I don't know about you, but I would much rather enjoy my life than, uh, not enjoy it. So I'ma do my best to just be present in THIS moment and see how that works out for me.

FYI, in THIS moment, I'm hungry. You know, just in case you wondered.

By Sonnjea Blackwell