Pages

Thursday, August 2, 2012

Somethin' On the Side

I'm thinking of having an affair. I know I'm opening myself up to all sorts of negative judgement just for admitting that, but before you start calling me a ho, please hear me out.

First of all, I'm not interested in cheating just for the sake of cheating. I'm not that shallow, peeps. It's just that there's a certain somen' I've been interested in for awhile now. So far I've just flirted a little, but the temptation is getting to me and I think I'm gonna give in. (Oscar Wilde said, "I can resist anything except temptation." I know the feeling.)

It's not that I'm unhappy. I'm actually very happy. But my current relationship isn't necessarily a natural fit for me, and it's a constant struggle to keep up and make it work. People compliment me on how well I've done with it, given the rocky beginning. And I don't want them to feel like their admiration is misplaced, but the truth is the struggle takes a toll sometimes - shaking my confidence and making me feel inadequate.

On the other hand, my flirtation is just so easy. We fit. I don't have to struggle against my natural tendencies and force myself to be something I'm not. Sometimes we don't see each other for a few days, but it's never awkward when we meet up again - we just pick right up where we left off.

They actually have a lot in common - both of them stimulate my mind, let my imagination run wild and make me laugh. Many studies show that humor is one of the most important components of a relationship, and I know for me the ability to make me laugh is pretty much #1.

I think they'd like each other, if you wanna know the truth.

Anyway, I'm not willing to give either of them up. So I'm gonna stay with improv, but I'm gonna cheat with sketch writing. And I'm not going to apologize for it.

What? That's just how I roll, people.

By Sonnjea Blackwell