Pages

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Improv and Pizza: What's Not to Love?

Okay, I'm on a sappy roll. Yesterday I was all sentimental about Sketchy People. Today, I'm mushy about my students. Might as well get it all out of my system now so I can go back to being the sarcastic, um, person you all expect.

Look! I didn't swear. Woo hoo, Darren will be so proud.

Anyhoo, someone was asking me the other day what I like most about teaching beginning improv classes. That's kinda like asking what I like most about pizza: only everything!

I'm not saying that because a lot of students read this, either. I really, truly love everything about teaching beginning improv classes. Sometimes my favorite thing is seeing a bunch of people leave class 10x happier than when they arrived. Sometimes my favorite thing is watching people fall in love with improv. Sometimes my favorite thing is when people tell me how improv applies and helps them in their real life. Sometimes my favorite thing is seeing the huge strides people make, both in their improv skills and with personal struggles like shyness. Sometimes my favorite thing is when a student struggles and struggles and struggles with a skill or concept - and keeps working on it without giving up. Sometimes my favorite thing is when that student finally overcomes that obstacle and takes their game to a whole new level. Sometimes my favorite thing is when a class bonds and the students become new best friends. Clearly, I can go on and on.

Another nice thing about teaching improv, as opposed to teaching, say, math is that even when it's struggly, it's fun. And funny. The fact that there's laughter happening most of the time makes the learning (and teaching) process more enjoyable, if not any easier.

But the thing I didn't expect about teaching improv was how much I would learn from my students. Teaching is maybe the most humbling activity I've ever experienced. I mean, I know about improv - the rules, how to do it, how to teach it. But what makes my jaw drop in every single class is when students push themselves way, WAY past the boundaries of where they're comfortable. When you can just see the "You know what? Fuck it, I'm going for it!" expression on their face as they take the stage. That kind of commitment inspires me to push harder in my own life - in improv, and in everything else.

So thank you to everyone who has taken a Level 1 class from me! For all the reasons I listed above, I honestly believe I have the best job in the world. Thanks for playing with me!

(And yes, I got around to swearing. I mean c'mon, peeps - it's me after all. Darren's used to it.)

By Sonnjea Blackwell