Pages

Monday, November 12, 2012

Thankful for Things to be Thankful for

If you spend more than 30 seconds a week on Facebook, you've probably seen the November thankfulness posts people have been writing. You know, "12: today I'm thankful for soft ear fur on doggies" or the ones from your deeper FB friends that go more like, "12: today I'm thankful for the ability to be thankful for things that seem horrible but somehow make me a better person, capable of feeling thankfulness for unthankful things." Or something.

Anyway, I'm not doing that. Not because I'm not thankful for stuff, but because nobody gives a crap about what I'm thankful for and I don't want to burden folks with excessive posts they don't give a crap about. Hey! Maybe that's what you can be thankful for today. "12: I'm thankful Sonnjea didn't post what she's thankful for."

Holy shit, she's lost it. Don't even try to pretend that's not what you're thinking. It's just that, I don't want to seem unthankful by not jumping on the FB thankfulness bandwagon, so I'ma tell you ONE thing I'm thankful for, rather than torturing you with 30 things.

In case you couldn't guess, I'm thankful for improv. I didn't start taking improv classes to improve my acting ability (I have none), or to begin a new career (careers are overrated) or anything, really. I just wanted to do something that would push me out of my comfort zone and challenge my complacence. It did, and then some.

My life is completely different as a result of improv, and the changes are 100% positive. I'm less shy, I have more (and better) friends, I'm more confident, my writing is better. Oh, and I have a whole new career. Whatever, you gotta make a living, right?

So if you're low on things for your November thankful posts, I suggest signing up for a Held2gether improv class. We're booked up through the end of the year, but new classes start the first week of January. You know, just in time for those New Year's resolutions you're going to make in order to give yourself something to be thankful for next November.

By Sonnjea Blackwell