Pages

Friday, May 20, 2011

Improv for, uh, Life

By Sonnjea Blackwell

Despite all evidence to the contrary, I'm not actually crazy. No, really. There've been tests.

All these posts where I constantly insist that stuff you learn in Held2gether improv classes can actually help you in real life? They're true. Not only that, but all those ways that improv helps you in real life is the entire point of H2G.

See, the second part of our name is "Improv for Life." People forget that part. It's not "Improv for Actors" or "Improv for Killing Time" or "Improv for No Particular Reason" or "Improv for Sandwiches." It's improv for life because the mission of Held2gether is to make improv comedy and the myriad skills it offers accessible to regular folks like you and me so we can improve our lives and have fun doing it.

I mean, I could perhaps improve my life by going to 13 therapy sessions in 12 days. That might help, and many of you have gently suggested it. Thank you for your concern, by the way. BUT... I can improve my life and have fun and make people laugh if I go to 13 improv activities in 12 days instead. So really, there's way more bang for the buck with improv.

Still not convinced (about improv, I mean; I know I'll never convince you that I'm not certifiable)? We've got a lot coming up, so you can check out a show either in LA or the LBC, or try a get-your-feet-wet type of class to see if improv's really all that and a bag o' chips. All the deets are at the Held2gether: improv for life website. Or you can always email the boss with any questions you have about H2G improv classes, as well as any comments about how fabulous these blogs are.