Pages

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Computer Programming or Unicorn Sculpting?

I get bored easily, which is why I no longer have a "real" job. After working at the same place for a decade, doing the same paperwork-y thing day after day, I thought my head would explode. If I had known about improv back then, maybe I could've kept my job without any cranial pyrotechnics. But without improv as an outlet, my creativity was wilting, my personality was best described as über-bitch and I was always hungry.

Oh. Wait.

Anyway, now I do a little of this and a little of that, which usually means a little writing and a little graphic designing. But sometimes it means a little programming. You know, like for computers and stuff.

Stop laughing. Turns out, I'm half nerd (or, as Nate says, a Nerd Muggle). I'm one of those people who, when I took those career aptitude tests in high school, scored about the same across the board for creativity vs. logic, humanities vs. science, blonde vs. brunette, etc. Which means I'm decent at a lot of things, but not great at anything.

I went the humanities route, getting a degree in art. Excellent career choice, btw. But when I need to do something techy like write HTML, I get all nerdy and into it. It's kinda like a big ol' Sudoku puzzle, and I love using the parts of my brain that don't often get a workout.

(Clearly, I'm not adept at using the parts of my brain that lead to having a point. Sorry).

Ahem. The point is, maybe you don't want to write computer code for fun. Or maybe you do, but you don't want to sculpt a unicorn. The good news is, Held2gether improv classes in Long Beach are designed to help you use all the parts of your brain. You learn to listen, react, make connections, let go, communicate, laugh and be silly. Yeah, the laugh and be silly parts of your brain probably don't get enough use these days, and you don't want them to atrophy! So come take an improv class with us in the new year.

It's more fun than Sudoku. No, really.

By Sonnjea Blackwell