Pages

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Held2gether Is an Improv School, Not a Kardashian

This whole social media thingy seems like it might just take off. No, really. And I'm pretty sure the internet whatchamacallit is here to stay, too.

Crap.

See, our whole reason for existing at H2G is to bring the joy and skills of improv to everyone. That's why we call it "improv for life." And what better way to do that than through the magical powers of cyberspace and social media, right? Right!

We've gotten oodles of new students who found us by Googling, Yelping, reading this blog and/or Facebooking. A few found us through the magical powers of unicorns, but that's a different blog post.

So, what's the problem? Well, I'ma tell you.

It turns out, I am just one girl. I know it may seem like there's a bunch of people inside my head, and I'm not disputing your armchair diagnosis. But in terms of getting the Held2gether name out there, my voices and I can only do so much. The thing with social media is, it can't be static. You have to add information constantly in order to be relevant.

And the problem with an improv school is, we are not a Kardashian. Okay, that's really not a problem. I just mean, we can't create hype and attention by planning elaborate weddings to little-known athletes we intend to divorce in eleven minutes. We can only create hype and attention by doing what we do, the best way we know how - and hoping you'll share it with your friends and family.

We love social media because it's accessible to everyone, which is exactly how we feel improv should be. If you want to help us make sure that everyone has a chance to learn to express themselves in a fun, safe, supportive environment, please take a moment to play with us from time to time on the social media platform of your choice: comment on and/or share a blog post; "like" our FB page, post some stuff on it and/or ask your friends to like it, too; write a review; tag yourself and your friends at our shows.

Thank you! I'll be back with more profound improv = real life thoughts next time. Unless I have to rant about bunnies or Star Trek instead. I just never know which voice is gonna get to the keyboard first.

By Sonnjea Blackwell