Pages

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

How to Get Your Improv Fix Without a Class

Everyone is emailing and texting and FBing me about how sad they are that this week is the last week of "official" Held2gether improv classes for 2011.

Um, hello? Darren and I calculated a while back and concluded that I have most likely taken more improv classes in 2011 than any other person in Long Beach, so I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that I am just a tad more of an improv addict than pretty much anyone. Thus, I've also calculated that the H2G improv hiatus is going to be much harder on me than it is on you.

What? I've told you before, this blog is all about me.

Since I'm not one to suffer in silence, I have a plan for surviving until the next batch of classes begins the first week of January. First of all, I will be at all of the drop-ins. Next, I'll be at the two remaining Held2gether improv comedy shows of the year. I'll also be doing "I'm a..." whenever the opportunity arises. With or without booze or other improv peeps. I'll "yes, and" whenever possible. And I'll randomly tell people I'm talking with "New choice," making them finish their sentences in a variety of different ways until I like the ending.

So don't be sad! Sign up for a January class now, while there's still room. Then, be creative! Improv is for life, after all. Find ways to use your improv skills in your life, then report back to me. I'm dying to know how your bosses like the labels you give them!

By Sonnjea Blackwell