Pages

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Crazy Uncles

I have an uncle that we refer to as "Uncle Missing Link." I could give you literally thousands of examples to explain why, but I suppose this one will have to suffice.

He used to work for the power company, doing something or other on the power lines. One day there was a squirrel hanging about and, since it happened to be lunchtime, Uncle Missing Link ambled over to his truck, got out his .22 and killed the squirrel. Then he skinned it, cooked it over a little fire he made there on the side of the road and had himself some bbq'd squirrel for lunch.

I'd love to be able to say this happened in the 1800s or in some podunk village miles from civilization, but no. Happened about 20 years ago on the central coast of California. Look, you can't choose your family, okay?

Anyway, tonight I'm heading up to Hollywood to see The Groundlings' version of Uncle Missing Link - their Crazy Uncle Joe show. It's two 40-minute long-form sets that are "oh-my-god-my-stomach-hurts-from-laughing-so-hard" funny. It's just in time to inspire me for Held2gether's long-form class, which starts one week from tonight!