Pages

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

The Opposite of Funny

By Sonnjea Blackwell

Today is one of those really annoying days that makes me want to swear inappropriately (seriously, I know I look like a soccer mom, but in my normal life I swear like a friggin' sailor. I actually tone it down for you guys. A lot). Anyway, whatever the opposite of creative is, that's what I am today. No problem, except that I get paid for being creative, not for being the opposite of creative.

Why is this our problem, you ask, and when is this post going to get funny? Excellent questions. When you learn the answers, can you let me know?

Okay, okay. See, sometimes you just don't feel funny. Maybe you're tired. Maybe you're hungover, or sick, or maybe Mercury is friggin' retrograde again. Who knows. It's just that some days you really don't feel "on." Sucks if you're a writer or a graphic designer (sorry, it's all about me today). But luckily, if you're an improv-er, you're not all alone. Maybe you don't feel funny - but there's a good chance the whole class doesn't feel the same way at the same time. So you just remember the rules, agree with whatever your funny partner has to say and try to add information. That's the beauty of improv - it's a team sport, and your partners are more than happy to help you out on days when you are the opposite of funny.

The other thing about improv is, you learn that everything can change in a moment. You might be the opposite of funny for half a scene, and then something clicks and you're on again. It's like that in life too. Just deciding you're going to do the best you can with what you have at any moment can give you the impetus to keep going until you find your mojo again. So try a Held2gether improv class - we'll help you get through the days when you are the opposite of whatever you're supposed to be, and we really don't care how much you swear.