Pages

Thursday, March 17, 2011

What I Learned at My Voice Lesson Today

By Sonnjea Blackwell

I learned that if I don't think and just open my mouth and let it all go, I'm loud enough and I hit the right notes and it sounds great and it doesn't feel like work.

The problem is, I learned this last week at my voice lesson as well, and the week before, and the week before, ad nauseam. I learn it, and it's like a big ol' friggin' lightbulb. Woo hoo! And then I forget. It's like that movie Memento with the no-short-term-memory guy.

And the problem is, it's the same with improv: If I don't think and just open my mouth and let it all go, the information is great and the characters are strong and it's funny and it doesn't feel like work. I know this. To trot out another movie analogy, I'm like Natalie Portman in Black Swan, except not as crazy and not as pretty and not as lesbian. But I UNDERSTAND improv very well. I can analyze it with the best of them. I see quite easily what works and what doesn't work in a scene, and why.

I'm the white swan - all technicality, no passion. But the thing with the number of improv classes and rehearsals and shows I do, is there's always another chance to finally nail it. One of these days... Only you know what? I'm tired of waiting for one of these days. Tonight, at Held2gether's Level 2 class, watch out. I'm done being Natalie Portman. Tonight, I'm Mila Kunis. (Yes, I know. I'm not as pretty. It's an analogy, people. Sheesh.)