Pages

Friday, July 8, 2011

Improv Is Art

By Sonnjea Blackwell

Whew. What an awesome week! Held2gether improv galore, a heat wave, and a celebration of America's Independence involving fireworks, wine and smooth-jazz versions of classic Hall & Oates songs performed by Hall & Oates. Not the way I would've chosen to hear Rich Girl cuz it made it hard to sing along, but I guess Hall and/or Oates gets to decide these things, not me. Weird.

Which made me think about appropriateness and art. It also made me think about 7th grade, because that's when Rich Girl came out. Go ahead and do the math. I'm old.

But I digress. Sorry, it's Friday. Of course whenever you're talking about art, questions arise as to what's appropriate and acceptable... and even about whether or not something is, in fact, art. I have a degree in the subject (seriously, you're learning SO MUCH useless information about me today), and I spent countless hours in classes debating the question, "What makes something art?" There's no correct answer. I'd argue that the original version of Rich Girl is art, while the 2011 fireworks version of it... well, it's still art. Just not good art.

Improv is art. I'm just sayin'. Sometimes it's good and sometimes not so good, but anything that sets out to make people happy by showing them funny scenes created on the spot out of thin air without being mean in any way is definitely art.

Seriously, I learned that in art school.