Pages

Thursday, July 21, 2011

No More Miss Negativity-Pants

I've been having a bit of a meltdown lately, what with my confidence being in the toilet and my whininess being at an all time high and all. Lisa called me "Miss Negativity-pants," which sums it up pretty well. I apologize to my improv teammates for being such a downer the past couple of weeks. Months, whatever. The point is, I apologize.

Oh yeah, fair warning. This post is all about me.

But last night I got my groove back. Now I know how Stella felt. Minus Taye Diggs, of course. I mean, improv is magical but it's not that magical. Anyhoo. I was back in the improv zone, giving my scene partners decent info to work with and not fumbling everything they passed to me.

What happened between last week and this week to snap me out of my funk? Well, aside from a whole lot of Buddhist talk, I decided to snap out of it. And then I decided not to feel sorry for myself because I can't do stuff. And then I remembered a saying I learned many years ago, "If you argue in favor of your limitations, you get to keep them." So then I decided not to insist that I can't do stuff. The deciding and remembering were good, but I also needed to take action.

So then, finally, I asked a troupe-mate for help.

Naturally, he said yes. That's how it is with Held2gether troupe people: we all know we're a team. We're on the same side, which means we're all on each other's side. If I get better, it makes the whole team better, so why wouldn't my teammates help?

So even though we haven't started my tutoring sessions yet, the fact that I took the actions I needed to take to snap me out of my funk and get over my limitations have already helped. Of course I still need to follow through on the tutoring; I am still remedial in certain areas. But I'm no longer Miss Negativity-pants, and that's a good start.

By Sonnjea Blackwell