Pages

Sunday, September 18, 2011

Addicted to Rainbows

I feel the need to defend myself, peeps. Some of you (you know who you are) continue to imply that I have an improv addiction that requires imminent intervention. While I'm not denying (never deny!) the addiction part of your accusation, I beg to differ when you suggest an intervention is in order.

First of all, being addicted to improv is like being addicted to rainbows or happiness or kindness - there is no downside. Doing it makes me happy and, unlike doing meth, doesn't ruin my teeth or my relationships. Another advantage of improv addicts vs. meth addicts: improv addicts give their friends, family and even strangers joy and laughter; meth addicts steal shit from their friends, family and even strangers.

B) I think everyone should have a passion in life - something they love doing so much they'd be willing to keep on doing it for free, even if by some miracle getting paid became an option. If your passion isn't improv, that's okay (weird, but okay) and I won't try to force you into a 12-step program for it. If you don't have a passion, please stop reading now and go find one.

And nextly, when you are in your mid-40s by the time you figure out what you wanna be when you grow up, you can't afford to waste time dabbling. If you're 40ish and think of improv as a fun hobby, fabulous - you can take a class a month or whatever fits your busy schedule. If I take a class a month, I will be good enough to perform and teach improv about the time I turn 237 years old. I'm afraid I just don't have that kind of time.

So you can keep on mocking me for taking every single Held2gether improv class offered, along with as many LA classes as my checkbook and my ego can stand - I don't mind. I'll continue to offer you joy and laughter to the best of my ability.

And I promise I won't steal shit.

By Sonnjea Blackwell