Pages

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Improv and Riding a Bike

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

That's me breathing a huge sigh of relief. There's an improv class tomorrow night, and by my calculations, it's been 2.5 weeks since I last did improv.

Not that I'm counting.

That's not a long time by normal people standards, I realize. But given that there was a period of time over the summer during which I did 13 improv activities in 11 days, 2 1/2 weeks is a bit of a dry spell for me.

I'm curious to see if I still remember the rules, or if I fall into a black, bottomless pit of questions, denials and Crazyville information.

Oh, okay, that's not gonna happen. The thing about improv is, the skills you learn get so ingrained because you start to constantly use them in real life, that you're not gonna forget them in 2 1/2 weeks. Or 2 1/2 years. Like riding a bike, you know. Once you learn that skill, it's a skill you possess forever, unless you fall off the roof and hit your head or something. But that almost never happens.

So if you've taken a class, but it's been a while and you think you don't remember anything or that you don't "have it" anymore, that's just crazy talk. Sign up for a Held2gether improv class and see how much fun you have riding that bike again!

By Sonnjea Blackwell