Pages

Sunday, December 25, 2011

Politically Correct Holiday Greetings from H2G

If you've seen a Held2gether improv show in Long Beach, you know we are not always politically correct. I realize that probably comes as a shock to many of you, considering our polite, mild-mannered demeanors, but every once in a while we're not on our best behavior. I blame Darren; he taught us everything we know.

Anyway, in terms of PCness, I do sort of like the "Happy Holidays" concept because it's more inclusive than greetings that are specific to Christmas, Chanukah, Kwanzaa, Arbor Day, Boxing Day and New Year's. But I don't take offense when people offer me a greeting for a holiday I don't celebrate - I mean, as long as people are wishing me a happy, merry or good whatever, I'm really not picky about the whatever. For example, I've been wished Happy Chinese New Year before. I think it's obvious that I am not Chinese (at least not in the same way that Lisa is Chinese), and yet I don't jump to any conclusions that the person offering me such a greeting is trying to belittle my beliefs or imply that their New Year is any better than my New Year. Even though it totally is - I mean, Chinese New Year has dragons and shit; we just have Dick Clark.

You know I have a point, however obscure I attempt to make it. My point is that improv is about accepting, and that's what I was thinking about when I started this post. You learn to accept what other people offer - ideas, information, gifts, holiday wishes - without judging the offering or the person doing the offering. You accept it, and then you add some information or wishes or whatever of your own, and pretty soon you have the makings of a great improv scene or, you know, a happier world.

Held2gether: improv for life wishes everyone a joyous holiday of their choosing. Or, as I like to say, Feliz Kwanzukahmas.

By Sonnjea Blackwell