Pages

Monday, August 29, 2011

Improv, Fire Drills & Sex. Oh My.

I finished Bossypants and I'm now convinced that Tina Fey and I are the same person. Only, you know, with a disproportionate distribution of talent (she has it).

When she was explaining about the whole Sarah Palin thing on SNL, she talked about a really funny bit Seth Myers wrote for her - only it was just for her. Tina had him re-write it to include Amy Poehler because, being an improv person, Tina didn't feel comfortable doing the bit alone. She prefers the "buddy system" approach of improv.

This is exactly how I feel every time someone writes a sketch where I'm supposed to imitate an idiotic governor doing bizarre things in public. I can't tell you how many times I've had to just say, "Look, I know I'm a dead ringer for Arnold, but I'm an improv girl - can you please write it to include Andy, Co-Dependent as Maria? That'd be better for me. Thanks."

And then I wake up.

But really, that IS what I love about improv. The buddy system. And it's so strange because growing up I used to hate any kind of group assignments in school or anything in which two or more people had to complete a task together. Like a fire drill. Or sex.

Just seeing if you're awake.

Anyway, improv changed all that. Not only do I see the value of working with others, I actually prefer it. Two heads really are better than one. I no longer think I'm the only one who can solve a problem or come up with a good idea because I've seen literally thousands of examples where the addition of someone else's idea has been what makes something work. It's not all them, and it's not all me. It's us.

We have intro to improv classes all the time where we teach you to play well with others. When you learn to play well with others, you realize that it's not so different from working well with others.

You're on your own with the fire drills and the sex. I can't do everything for you, peeps.

By Sonnjea Blackwell