Pages

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

What I Ate On My Summer Vacation

My idea of vacation = food. I don't know what it is about being on vacation, but whenever I'm on vacation I eat like a friggin' horse. A friggin' horse with a sweet tooth. And who may be a wino.

Yesterday we did some wine tasting. Then I ate a side of beef slathered in mushrooms. Oh, wait, that was all after the homemade English toffee and before the bread pudding.

I think it's because vacation, like improv, is all about being in the moment. I'm not worried about what's going to happen tomorrow, or even an hour from now. Right now, I'm in front of a shop (or, where I'm staying now, a "shoppe") that sells pastries, and I like pastries. So I eat a pastry. Ten feet from now, I may be in front of a shoppe that sells tacos. I also like tacos. And there seems to be a municipal ordinance here that requires every second business to be a wine tasting room.

We all know how I feel about wine.

Tomorrow I'll be back to the real world and, thankfully, real improv, so I don't have to practice improv by yes, and-ing my sister-in-law whenever she suggests a snack.

Sis-in-law: Want some tea?
Sonnjea: Yes, and three scones as well.

Sis-in-law: Wanna go wine tasting?
Sonnjea: Yes, and let's have some cheese with the wine.

Sis-in-law: Wanna go to the candy shoppe?
Sonnjea: Make itte a statement.
Sis-in-law: You look as if you'd like to go to the candy shoppe.
Sonnjea: Yes, and I'm going to need larger intestines to digest all this food.

If you want to learn to be in the moment without resorting to zero-impulse-control activities like eating your body weight in pastry, try a Held2gether improv class. All the fun of vacation; none of the calories. Yay.

By Sonnjea Blackwell