Pages

Monday, August 8, 2011

Long Beach Improv Workshop vs. Pulling Weeds

I have to say, I'm super excited about the Held2gether Intro to Improv Comedy 1/2-day Workshop coming up this Sunday! And it's not just because the alternative is pulling weeds in my yard.

There are a couple reasons, actually. One is because I can never get enough of improv. Doing improv games and exercises, whether they're geared to brand-new-beginners or advanced players, always gives me a new perspective and helps me learn. Sure, I could probably skate through a "yes, and" exercise without much effort. But I could also challenge myself to do it with big emotion and in a way that helps a brand-new person understand it quicker. And on the other hand, sometimes the way beginners approach things is so simple and uncluttered, I wonder why I never thought of it. But you kind of need the beginner's frame of mind to see things simply sometimes. If you ever think you can't learn something from a beginning class, you're, um, just plain wrong.

Sorry, sometimes I'm a little blunt on Mondays.

The second reason I love this workshop is because a four-hour class is long enough for beginners to grasp the magic of improv, and I love to see people get that for the first time. You see the trepidation morph into a bit of frustration as they struggle with the basic concepts, and then right after that comes the lightbulb moment when they realize, "Hey! I can do improv."

Hey! You can do improv, too! There are a few spaces left in this Sunday's workshop - register at the H2G website or call the boss with any questions.

And if you don't want to take the workshop, could you please stop by my place and pull some weeds? That'd be awesome. Thanks.

By Sonnjea Blackwell