Pages

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Improv: More Useful Than Diagramming Sentences

I honestly believe that improv is something that can benefit every man, woman and child on the planet and that, in a perfect world, they would teach improv in schools instead of, say, diagramming sentences. I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that diagramming sentences is not a skill anyone needs. I would wager a large sum of money that not one of your friends, coworkers or romantic partners can diagram a sentence, and they are all functional members of society.

So why should they teach improv in schools? Because improv is all about playing well with others. Sure, you already get along okay with people or you wouldn't have all those friends, coworkers and romantic partners who are unable to diagram a sentence. But could you improve your interpersonal interactions? Um, yes.

I know that's presumptuous of me. I don't even know you (except Lorna and Lisa and Andy, Co-Dependent), so how do I know in what areas you can improve? Well, I'll tell you. Because everyone, no matter who they are or what they do, could listen better. Agree quicker. Contribute more. Commit more fully.

And I know a lot of people want to do all of those things. But it's hard to improve at something simply because you've decided to improve. I can decide to be better at hitting a softball, but that's not what's gonna make me a home-run hitter. I need someone to show me the proper stance, and how to hold the bat and when to swing and all that - and then I need to practice a lot.

Turns out, H2G classes can teach you how to listen, agree, contribute and commit - and in such a way that you think you're just hanging out with some of the nicest, funnest (diagram that) people and playing some hilarious games. It relieves stress, gets you out of your head, and reminds you that all that silly stuff you did as a kid was actually a lot healthier than all the uptight stuff you have to do as a grown-up.

Come out and have some fun with us. Classes start all the time!

By Sonnjea Blackwell