Pages

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Addicted to Improv!

By Sonnjea Blackwell

Lest I inadvertently give you the idea that once you start taking improv classes you'll be hooked, and pretty soon your life will revolve around getting your next improv fix, and you'll turn into a babbling junkie who doesn't think or talk about anything but improv classes or improv shows or improv people, I should just point out that it's really not so bad.

I mean, as far as things to get addicted to go, improv is pretty cool. You learn to listen. You learn to be funny. You learn to work well with others. And if you already knew how to do those things, you get even better at them. So people don't get too upset if you become an improv addict.

But most of my Held2gether troupe- and classmates aren't addicts like me. They have regular jobs that don't have anything to do with H2G or improv. They have families who are not forced to play New Choice at the dinner table. They can get through entire conversations without blurting out, "Make it a statement!"

I know some of you probably think I'm a cautionary tale of what could happen if you start down the slippery slope of improv. But I'm not. I don't have a problem. And I can quit anytime, I swear.