Pages

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Don't Shoot!

By Sonnjea Blackwell

Today I'm going to put up posters and flyers around Bixby Knolls and Cal Heights, advertising Held2gether improv classes and shows in Long Beach. I did a few yesterday, but I didn't have time to do all of them because I have other jobs that actually pay me in U.S. currency rather than unicorns and every so often I have to do work for them. Weird.

Anyway. Sometimes I psych myself out about the flyer thing because it entails going into businesses (most of which I don't frequent as a customer) and asking the owners if I can use their windows for my own advertising purposes. In my head, this is an enormous imposition and I'm fortunate the people don't shoot me on the spot.

Yes, okay, there are a few things in my head that defy explanation. In my defense, all of my jobs - paying and otherwise - depend on my imagination. Fortunately, it's quite vivid. Unfortunately, sometimes it runs amok.

In reality, of course, the worst thing that can happen is someone might say, "No, you can't put your awesome Confessions of a Soccer Mom poster in our window." And even that almost never happens.

What usually happens is people tell me how terrific the poster is. They ask about improv. We talk about how incredible First Fridays has gotten to be. Because people are generally nice, if you give them a chance. And even more than that, people enjoy being helpful. It makes them feel useful and important and it gives them a chance to do something nice for someone.

Which is where you come in. I hate to impose, but I was wondering if you would mind very much "Liking" the Held2gether Facebook page? Thanks! I know most of you have liked it already, so thank you, too.

And thank you for not shooting me. Really.