Pages

Friday, April 15, 2011

Improv Workshop for Teens!

By Sonnjea Blackwell

Held2gether has a new improv class to tell you about! And we may even share the awesome poster we made to promote it. But first, a disclaimer.

See, the thing is, I don't understand the concept of "children." I mean, I know what they are, of course (no matter what this blog may have implied, I really am not dumber than dirt). I just don't understand their purpose, or appeal, or really anything about them. In my opinion, people should hatch from an egg or possibly emerge from the trunk of a hollowed-out tree, full grown and with the skills and intelligence of an average twenty-two year old.

Yeah, in my world, life begins at college graduation.

That being said, I am aware that I am in the minority when it comes to the notion of offspring. So when Darren said he wanted to teach a teen workshop in the summer, I thought it was a fab idea. I mean, I know everyone who has kids (and simply adores them, of course) just can't wait to get rid of them during the summer. My neighbors schlep their kids to everything from kids' cooking classes to karate to basket weaving during school vacations. They don't care what they learn, they just want them out of the house for a few hours.

But how about a class that teaches those know-it-all teens how to listen? And agree. You know that's what we teach in improv classes, right? What if your kid actually paid attention to what you said, and then replied with something like, "Yes, Mom, I will take out the trash... and I'll put a new trash bag in the receptacle."

Well, it's only a two-week class, so you can't expect miracles. But after two hours of laughing, they'll at least come home in a good mood and maybe wait a few minutes before starting an argument with their sister about who gets to sit in which chair. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go sit in whichever chair I want and spend the afternoon with people who aren't sarcastic and don't talk back to me. Cuz that's just how I roll.